This property stands at the end of a ‘no through road’ surrounded by it’s own gardens and paddock which extends to approximately 3 acres.
The property offers further potential to convert the beautiful 1/2 timber barn into another gîte if required. Repeat guest reservations will never be a problem here! The current owners have restored the “colombage” building which has a clay tiled roof, and which would formerly have housed the cider press, a sympathetic way to retain its original character and style with a wealth of exposed timbers and flexible accommodation over 2 floors including 2 ground floor bedrooms making it ideal for multi-generational family groups.
Both the main house and the gîte have their own oil fired central heating systems and double glazing. The gîte has telephone points and TV aerial sockets in each room. The main house is built of granite under a slate roof and has wooden shutters to the front elevation.
It is situated in a peaceful rural setting in the beautiful Normandy countryside close to the medieval town of Domfront with all its amenities. It is under 2 hours drive from the region’s ferry ports and airports and within easy reach of the Normandy landing beaches, Mont St Michel and Le Mans.
THE ACCOMMODATION IN THE MAIN HOUSE COMPRISES :
On the ground floor:
- Entrance hall : 3.86m x 1.91m – 1/2 glazed door to the front elevation with opening glass. Tiled floor. Radiator. Oak stairs to the first floor with cupboard under housing oil fired central heating boiler.
- Lounge : 6.21m x 5.62m – Window to the front elevation. Fireplace with woodburner. Exposed beams. 2 radiators. Cupboard housing electricity meter.
- Kitchen/dining room : 5.86m x 5.44m – Double aspect room with windows to the front and rear elevations. Huge granite fireplace. Exposed stone wall and beams. Radiator. Fitted kitchen with range of base units with tiled worksurfaces and splashbacks and inset 1 1/2 bowl sink with mixer tap. Space and plumbing for washing machine. Built-in electric oven with 4 ring electric hob and extractor fan. Tiled floor.
On the first floor :
- Landing : Window to the front elevation. Wooden floor. Stairs to loft space (which could easily be converted to provide further bedrooms if required).
- Bedroom 1 : 5.74m x 4.48m – Window to front elevation. Wooden floor. Radiator. Exposed beams. Decorative granite fireplace. Door to –
- En-suite shower room : Shower cubicle, pedestal hand basin and toilet. Heated towel rail. Exposed beams.
- Inner hallway : Built-in wardrobes. Wooden floor. Exposed beams. Door to –
- Bathroom : 3.51m x 1.78m – Window to the rear elevation. Tiled floor and 1/2 tiled walls. Panelled bath with mixer/shower tap adjustment. Pedestal hand basin. Toilet. Bidet. Heated towel rail.
- Bedroom 2 : 5.39m x 3.87m – Window to front elevation. Radiator. Wooden floor. Granite fireplace. Exposed beams.
THE ACCOMMODATION IN THE GÎTE COMPRISES :
On the ground floor –
- Living area : 8.61m x 6.32m – Spacious living area with full height ceiling and exposed beams. Oak floor. Double aspect with 2 windows to the west elevation and a glazed entrance door and side panels with window over and separate window to the front (east) elevation. Fireplace with inset woodburner. Stairs to first floor with storage cupboard under. Step down to –
- Kitchen : 3.75m x 3.74m – Matching range of base and wall units with rolled edge worktops and tiled splashbacks. Twin bowl ceramic sink and mixer tap. Space and plumbing for dishwasher and washing machine. Space for freestanding cooker with extractor fan over. Tiled floor. Exposed beams. Window to rear elevation. French doors to south elevation and terrace and barbecue area.
- Bedroom 1 : 3.08m x 2.83m – Window to front elevation. Radiator. Exposed beams. Door to:
- En-suite shower room : 2.55m x 1.67m – Window to front elevation. Tiled floor. Corner shower unit with jets. Toilet and pedestal hand basin. Tiled walls. Heated towel rail.
- Bedroom 2 : 7.07m x 4.11m – Odd shaped room with 2 windows to the front elevation. Exposed beams. Door to –
- En-suite bathroom : 2.74m x 2.02m – Window to rear elevation. Corner shower unit with jets. Panelled bath with mixer tap. Pedestal hand basin. toilet. Exposed beams. Fully tiled walls and floor. Heated towel rail.
- Hallway : 4.44m x 2.74m – 2nd set of stairs to first floor. French doors to rear elevation. Tiled floor.
- Cloakroom : Toilet and hand basin. Exposed beam. Tiled floor.
- Boiler room : With oil storage tank and electricity fuseboxes.
On the first floor:
- Mezzanine : 3.40m x 2.71m – Seating area with window to the front elevation. Radiator. Exposed beams. Door to –
- Bedroom 3 : 4.15m x 3.20m – Velux window to the rear elevation. Sloping ceiling. Radiator. Exposed beams. Door to –
- En-suite shower room : Velux window to the rear elevation. Walk in shower. Tiled floor. Toilet. Pedestal hand basin. Sloping ceiling. Heated towel rail.
- Approached from stairs in the living space –
- Landing :
- Bedroom 4 : 11m² – Window to front elevation. Exposed beams. Radiator.
- Bedroom 5 : 2.90m x 2.70m – Velux window to rear elevation. Exposed beams. Sloping ceiling. Radiator.
- Shower room : 1.80m x 1.76m – Walk in shower cubicle. Pedestal hand basin. Toilet. Exposed beams. Velux window to the rear elevation. Sloping ceiling. Tiled floor and walls. Heated towel rail.
Additional information :
- The property is approached via a long lane and is surrounded by it’s own land and gardens.
- There is a single storey outbuilding, built of stone under a clay tile and synthetic slate roof, which is divided into 3 sections. The first room contains the old bread oven and there is a woodstore and tool shed.
- There is a further large detached barn offering potential for creating another gite (subject to obtaining the necessary planning permission) and currently used for storage and workshop.
- There is an open fronted car port on one end.
- The garden has been fenced and divided to create private seating area for owners and guests – it is mainly laid to lawn with flower and shrub borders and some mature fruit trees.
- Terrace and barbecue area.
Additional information :
- Mains water, electricity and telephone.
- Separate oil fired central heating systems for the main house and gite.
- Drainage is to a septic tank for the house and to an all water septic tank for the gîte.
- Taxes Fonciere (land tax) : 724 € per annum
- Taxe d’habitation : 146 € per annum
- Property type:
- Habitable space:
- 306 square meters
- Plot size:
- 12106 square meters
Additional Information & Features
And Before You Ask...
- Is property Furnished?
- Reduced Notary fees?
The Normandy region is situated between the Channel and the Paris basin and has been the welcoming harbour of civilizations through the Seine Valley to Paris. The region's name originates from the Viking Norsemen back in the 9th century and it is officially divided in two parts, "Haute et Basse Normandie" (High and Low).
Its pleasantness has made Normandy the home of arts, amongst them painting and literature. Monet, Millet, Corot, Pisarro as well as Corneille, Maupassant, Flaubert, Victor Hugo and Dumas "père", have found their inspiration in this region.
Normandy is very easy and quick to access to by air, boat, rail or road, for a few hours, a quiet holiday, or for a lifetime!
The map below shows the approximate location of the property.