Serves 4 to 6
- 1-1/2 cups of milk
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 2 to 3 cups of fresh black sweet cherries, pitted; or drained, canned, pitted Bing cherries; or frozen sweet cherries, thawed and drained
- confectioners’ (powdered) sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To make the batter in a blender, combine the milk, eggs, flour, sugar and vanilla in the blender jar, and whirl them at high speed for a few seconds. Turn the machine off and scrape down the sides of the jar with a rubber spatula, then blend again for about 40 seconds. To make the batter by hand, stir the flour and eggs together in a large mixing bowl, and slowly stir in the milk, sugar, and vanilla extract. Beat with a whisk or a rotary or electric beater until the flour lumps disappear and the batter is smooth.
- Pat the cherries completely dry with paper towels, then spread them evenly in a shallow, buttered baking dish or pan that holds 5 to 6 cups and is about 2” deep.
- Pour in the batter.
- Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 1-1/2 hours, or until the top is golden brown and firm to the touch.
Dust lightly with confectioners’ sugar, and serve the clafoutis while it is still warm.