This glorious period residence was built in the 18th century and is in immaculate condition throughout - ready to move in to with a warm and welcoming feel. The chateau has been sympathetically renovated with exposed stone walls and beams and light, generously proportioned accommodation with high ceilings. The kitchen/breakfast room is well fitted with modern units and has a large walk in pantry.
The accommodation is arranged in such a way that it lends itself to use as a B&B or Chambre d'Hôte. Outside the grounds are in excellent condition and include a walled vegetable garden, bread oven and barbecue area and a seating area with a Pergola. The outbuildings are also well maintained and would be suitable for conversion into gîtes, subject to planning. Renovation of the old Coach House has been started.
THE CHATEAU COMPRISES
On the ground floor
- Entrance Hall 4.74 x 2.33m Wood flooring. Partly glazed double doors to front elevation. Stairs to first floor. Radiator.
- Cloakroom Terracotta flooring. WC. Window to rear elevation. Hand basin.
- Drawing Room 5.55 x 4.74m Radiator. Window to west and glazed double doors and side panel to front and window to rear elevations. Part wood panelled walls. Wood flooring. Coving and ceiling rose. Marble fireplace with wood-burner.
- Dining Room 7.32 x 4.74m 2 pairs of glazed double doors and side panels to front and window to rear elevations. Wood panelled walls. Wood flooring. Granite fireplace with wood-burner. 2 radiators. 2 ceiling roses.
- Sitting Room 6.15 x 5.15m Partly glazed door and window to front elevation. Tiled floor. Exposed stone walls. Granite fireplace with wood-burner. Under floor heating.
- Kitchen/Breakfast Room 6.19 (max) x 5.51m Window to east with window seat and window to north elevations. Tiled floor. Double ceramic sink with mixer tap. Range of matching base and wall units including display units. Range style cooker with extractor over. Built-in dishwasher. Pelmet lighting. Worktops with tiled splash-backs. Exposed beams. Under stairs cupboard.
- Pantry 3.06 x 2.70m Tiled floor. Window to south elevation. Exposed stone wall. Shelving.
- Boiler Room Window to south elevation. Exposed stone walls. Double stainless steel sink unit with mixer tap. Tiled floor. Boiler. Hot water cylinder. Space and plumbing for washing machine.
- Lobby Partly glazed door to north elevation. Tiled floor. Cupboard housing electrics.
- Wet Room 1.80 x 1.00m Fully tiled. Hand basin. WC. Window to east elevation.
- Study 5.90 x 3.41m Partly glazed double doors to front and south and window to south elevations. Wood panelled walls. Radiator. Stairs to first floor. Built-in cupboard with shelving.
On the First Floor (via stairs from entrance hall) -
- Landing Wood flooring. Stairs to second floor. 2 windows to front elevation. Radiator.
- Bedroom 1 5.17 x 4.95m Window to front, rear and east elevations. Wood flooring. Marble fireplace. 2 electric radiators. Hand basin. Built-in wardrobe.
- Cloakroom WC.
- Bathroom 2.86 x 2.70m Window to rear elevation with window seat. Corner shower with jets. Twin vanity unit. Heated towel rail. Part wood panelled walls. Coving. Claw foot bath with mixer tap/shower fitment.
- Bedroom 2 5.02 x 4.53m Window to front and rear elevations. Marble fireplace. Radiator. Wood flooring. Coving.
On the Second Floor
- Landing Wood flooring. 2 windows to front elevation.
- Bedroom 3 4.69 x 4.14m Window to front and rear elevations. Wood flooring. 2 radiators. Sloping ceiling. Marble fireplace. Corner shower with jets. Vanity unit.
- Bedroom 4 3.18 x 3.06m Velux window to rear elevation. Sloping ceiling. Wood flooring. Radiator.
- Bedroom 5 4.69 x 4.15m Window to front and rear elevations. Wood flooring. Marble fireplace. Radiator. Sloping ceiling.
On the First Floor (via stairs from study) -
- Insulated Loft 9.54 x 6.45m (ideal to convert into additional accommodation) 2 windows to rear and window to east elevations. Wood flooring. Partly exposed stone walls.
- Study/Bedroom 6 3.50 x 1.83m Window to front elevation. Wood flooring. Electric convector heater. Sloping ceiling.
- Music Room 2.61 x 2.60m Wood flooring. Sloping ceiling.
- Bedroom 7 6.23 x 5.02m Velux window to rear and window to front elevations. Wood flooring. Radiator.
- Huge arch and double wrought iron gates to gravel courtyard with plenty of parking space.
- Original Gatehouse (1820) Constructed of stone under a slate roof. Divided into 3 rooms:
- Room 1 5.05 x 5.05m Stairs to first floor. Doorway and window to front and window to rear elevations. Exposed stone walls and beams.
- Room 2 2 windows to front and 2 windows to rear elevations. Exposed beams. Fireplace with bread oven.
- Room 3 3.89 x 2.77m (Lower level) Door and window and Velux window to front. Door and window to end gable.
- First Floor – boarded. Window openings.
- Large Detached Dairy 15.00 x 7.37m Constructed of stone under a roof of synthetic slate. Loft over. Door to:
- Separate Room 5.73 x 5.00m.
- Open fronted Car Port 7.37 x 3.36m Concrete floor.
- Art Studio 7.37 x 5.32m Stairs to first floor. Glazed door and 2 windows to front a window to rear elevations. Concrete floor. Power and light.
- Workshop 10.07 x 7.00m 2 windows and arched double doors to front elevation. Loft over.
- Wine Cave 5.08 x 2.78m Door to front and window to rear elevations. Stairs to loft over.
- Gym 5.20 x 2.92m Door to front and window to side and rear elevations. Electric.
- Tool Shed.
- Driveway to front of house. Lawn and mature shrubs. River on boundary. Woodland. Pergola seating area. Old Bread Oven, barbecue and seating area.
- Walled garden – former vegetable garden and orchard including apple, pear, plum, quince. Soft fruit including raspberries, gooseberries, blackcurrent, rhubarb etc. Grapevine. Raised beds. Potting shed.
- The rear garden is laid to lawn and bounded by the river. Cherry and apple trees. Gravel seating area.
- A bridge leads over the river to a triangular area with about 20 trees.
- Double frontage to the River Colmont with Trout, Carp and Zander.
- Mains water, electricity and telephone.
- Drainage to an all water septic tank believed to have been installed about 11 years ago.
- Fibre optic internet connection available.
- Oil fired central heating with radiators and underfloor heating in the kitchen and sitting room and 3 woodburners.
ABOUT THE AREA AND ACCESS
This chateau is conveniently positioned within a 5 minute drive of Ambrières-les-Vallées and 10 minutes from the major Town of Mayenne. Both towns are pretty with the river Mayenne flowing through them and offer all amenities, including Schools, bars, restaurants, shops and Doctor's surgeries.
The TGV trainline can be found in Laval which is about a 30 minute drive giving rapid access to Paris. The ferry ports of Caen 123 km and Saint-Malo 125 km are about equidistant and approximately two hours' drive. The airport at Rennes is approximately 102 km from the property. A new leisure lake business has been opened near the property.
Environment & Surroundings
And Before You Ask
Ready to move in
Central heating (oil)
Reason for selling:
Property too big / small
Condition of Roof:
Recent septic tank
Small gas bottles required for cooking
Nationality of Owners: