This stunning Maison de Maître was formerly a Paper Mill, today it stands in a wooded valley just outside the main town of Vire-Normandie. A long, private gravel drive leads to the 4 car Carport and outbuilding to the front of the house.
The property is presented in excellent condition throughout and benefits from oil fired central heating, double glazed windows, high ceilings and light and airy rooms. There are approximately 4,500 sqm of formal gardens which have a river on the boundary and the rest has been left more natural. The Mill race runs under the property and could be harnessed for generating electricity. There is the additional benefit of a self-contained annexe or gîte if required.
On the ground floor
- Entrance Lobby 1.76 x 1.24m Tiled floor. Double wooden doors to front elevation. Cupboard housing electrics. Double partly glazed doors to:
- Entrance Hall 6.03 x .08m Stairs to first floor. Tiled floor. Part wood panelled walls. Radiator. Partly glazed double doors to rear elevation.
- Cloakroom Tiled floor. WC. Hand basin.
- Lounge 8.23 x 4.86m Wood flooring. 2 windows to front, window and partly glazed double doors to north elevations. Coving and ceiling roses. 3 radiators. Marble fireplace (at present sealed but could be opened up for use). Part wood panelled walls. Double doors to:
- Study 4.90 x 2.03m Window to north and west elevations. Glazed double doors to west elevation.
- Utility Room 2.23 x 1.86m Window to west elevation. Radiator. Space and plumbing for washing machine. Space for tumble dryer. Sink. Tiled floor.
- Dining Room 5.85 x 4.62m 2 windows to front and partly glazed door to rear elevations. 2 radiators. Stairs to first floor.
- Kitchen/Breakfast Room 6.45 x 3.12m Window to front elevation. Radiator. Tiled floor. Inset spotlights. Range of custom made oak units and worktops. Bosch induction hob. Built-in oven. Sinks with mixer tap. Space and plumbing for dishwasher. Granite fireplace with extractor fan. Space for upright fridge/freezer. Radiator.
- Boiler Room 5.47 x 5.44m Tiled floor. 2,000 l Oil storage tank. Boiler. Partly glazed door and 2 window opening to north elevation.
On the First Floor - via stairs from dining room (could be used as separate annexe/bed and breakfast with independant access)
- Bedroom 1 4.32 x 4.14m 2 windows to east elevation. Radiator.
- Dressing Room 2.61 x 1.73m Window to west elevation.
- Study/occasional bedroom 2.56 x 2.55m Window to north elevation. Radiator. Built-in cupboard.
- En-Suite Shower Room 2.55 x 1.75m Window to west elevation. Pedestal basin. Radiator. WC. Shower.
- Kitchen 4.76 x 2.48m (to renovate if required) Sink unit. Glazed double doors.
- Landing - (via stairs from entrance hall) -
- Master Bedroom 5.33 x 4.23m 2 windows to west elevation. Radiator. Door to:
- En-Suite Bathroom 4.07 x 2.56m Window to west and 2 windows to north elevations. Vanity unit. Travertine floor. Slipper bath with mixer tap/shower fitment. Large heated towel rail. WC.
- Sitting Room/Bedroom 3 6.92 x 2.82m 2 radiators. Window to north and 2 windows to east elevations. Ceiling rose.
- Dressing Room Fitted wardrobes to both sides of the room. Radiator. Window to front elevation. Space and plumbing for washing machine.
On the Second Floor
- Landing Built-in cupboard. Window to west and front elevations.
- Shower Room 2.12 x 2.11m Tiled floor. Vanity unit with mirror and light over. Suspended WC. Heated towel rail. Window to front elevation.
- Bedroom 4 4.04 x 2.84m Marble fireplace. Window to west elevation. Radiator.
- Bedroom 5 6.95 x 3.78m Window to east, west and north elevations. 2 radiators. Marble fireplace.
- Bedroom 6 3.96 x 2.90m Window to east elevation. Marble fireplace. Radiator. Built-in cupboard.
- Double metal gates lead to gravel drive, parking and turning area.
- Open Fronted stone Car Port for 4 cars. Concrete floor. Electric.
- Attached Barn 13.00 x 6.46m with basement.
- Room attached for storage - the basement level of the building previously held the Mill workings.
- The partly walled park style gardens are mainly laid to lawn with mature trees and shrubs, including a Virginia Tulip Tree which is about 200 years old. Former Orangerie.
- The Mill race is currently partially diverted into the River which is on the boundary of the garden with a backdrop of stone from the cliff face.
- Terrace leading out from the Lounge.
- Mains water, telephone and electricity are connected.
- Drainage is to an all water septic tank.
- Broadband internet connection.
- Oil fired central heating.
- Taxes Foncières : Approx. 1,200€ per annum
- VIDEO available on request
ABOUT THE AREA AND ACCESS
This property is situated in the south of Calvados; 5 minutes from the centre of Vire, within easy access of all facilities including a train service to Paris (2 hours 30 minutes) and about an hour’s drive south from the port of Ouistreham, Caen , the landing beaches and an hour inland from the breathtaking bay of the Mont St Michel to the west. The nearest beach is at Granville which is about a 45 minute drive. It is about 36km from the town of Avranches and the nearest airports are at Caen Carpiquet (about 35 minutes), and Rennes (about 90 mintues) from the property.
Save this Property to your favourites or
Send an Enquiry to receive more images. To receive alerts of similar properties or to arrange a visit, simply register here.
And Before You Ask
Good general condition
Central heating (oil)
Condition of Roof:
Septic tank needs updating