To serve four persons
- 3 large potatoes peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- 259g Emmenthal cheese, grated
- 6 cloves garlic crushed
- Coarse ground black pepper
- A minimum of 1 pint of whole milk
- Preheat the oven to 220 degrees C.
- In a 10 x 8 x3 inch deep over proof dish place a layer of potatoes and sprinkle on a layer of onions.
- Then add salt, garlic and pepper and top with a layer of the grated cheese
- Repeat the layers up to the top of the dish ensuring that you finish with cheese on top
- Gently pour in the milk until it reaches the top layer of potatoes but without covering them
- If you oven has a tendency to overheat, place cooking foil over most of the top allowing some exposure of the dish for evaporation of milk
- Bake for one hour removing the foil after 45 minutes
- If any liquid is showing return to the oven for a further 10 minutes
Serve as an ideal accompaniment to sausages or steak. Gratin Dauphinois is an ideal vegetarian dish also.