1st December 2020
- A Chateau with Many Secrets
- Benefits of a French Mortgage for Tax Purposes
- Travel Insurance Information for Expats in France
- French Property Market Analysis - September 2022
- Award Winning for France
- Happy in Their Dream Chateau
- Les Vacances Cet Eté en France, Where Do the French Go?
- What's a Relevé d'Identité Bancaire? How to Get a RIB from my French Bank?
- The Magic of Carcassonne in Cathar Country
- Tontine and Unmarried Couples Buying in France
7 French Property Potential Pitfalls to AvoidIs moving to France a good idea? We certainly think it is, not just for the weather, the fabulous food, amazing wines, culture, history, great healthcare or for a dream property in the countryside.
As well as providing endless opportunities for travel, sports and fun, France is great for kids. HSBC's Expat Explorer Survey 2018 found that 64% of expats said their children's health and wellbeing was better in France, as well as their education, and of understandably, linguistic and social skills. Having moved to France at the tender age of 7 myself, we fully appreciate the benefits of these lifestyle changes for all, kids and grown-ups alike.
Have you been exploring the idea of a permanent move for a while, a month, perhaps years because of Brexit or waiting for retirement age, possibly both! As we come out of another lockdown, are you planning your French escape at the earliest opportunity and secure that special place for the family and friends.
This all sounds like an exciting adventure doesn’t it but arethere any pitfalls? Here’s our 7 top tips to avoid them, to help you make a successful and hassle free purchase, when the time is right. Get a head start and plan ahead :
- Investigate tax, succession and inheritance
- Be smart with your cash, save on currency
- Work with a qualified English speak agent
- For properties with land, learn about SAFER
- Be realistic about renovation costs and timeframes
- Budget for property taxes and additional costs
- Research French insurance, it’s a legal requirement
For more information about buying and finding your dream housin wonderfull France, take a look at our buying guide, register your interest to receive alerts of new properties or simply ask us.