24th November 2020
- The Magic of Carcassonne in Cathar Country
- Tontine and Unmarried Couples Buying in France
- Buying a Villa in France or Spain, Which is Best?
- Bartering Bric-a-Brac at Brocantes in SW France
- Moving To France with Horses
- A Place Where Time Stands Still
- Tax & SCI Advice for Monaco Residents
- French Property Market Analysis - 1st Quarter 2022
- Poisson d’Avril from France
- Good Karma, No Fuss
How to Join the French Healthcare SystemWe’ve previously written on our blog about how families and seniors can get started with the CPAM registration process. So with the current global pandemic, Brexit looming and winter around the corner, we wanted to revisit this very essential part for any family or person arriving to live and settle in France.
France is very lucky to have one of the best healthcare system in the world, and if you are a moving permanently with the family or are seniors retiring, the few steps below will help to explain how to join the French healthcare system.
How to register with CPAM
In order to register with your local social security office ( CPAM for Caisse Primaire d’Assurance Maladies) you will be required to submit a certain documents:
- An S1 form: this form will be given to you by the department of health and social security of your country. It is not yet clear how Brexit will affect this for Brits, and don't know whether it will be maintained or not
- A birth certificate (translated into french)
- A household or utilty bill in your name to prove your address in France
- Copy of your passport (must have a valid date)
- Your bank details (a RIB) for reimbursements
Your registration will start at the date of your original application. In order to benefit from a full cover, it is important to designate a doctor who will look after you and refer you to any specialists if needed.
How Does it Work?
In general terms, CPAM pays 70% of your costs, the 30% are met by a top up health insurance or by yourself if you decide not to subscribe to one, but most families opt for one.
The reimbursements are sent automatically to your account on presentation of your “carte vitale”: it triggers a message to CPAM and once their payment has been sent, they also send a message to your top up insurance so that they can settle their part of the reimbursement. This is all automatic and should involve very little paperwork.
For for information or a quotation for a top up health insurance, please fill out the online form. We can also assist with other insurance quotes, such as car, home & content or your cats & dogs.