This exquisite and unique French Manor House with a stunning garden and swimming pool is located in a popular village where you will find an award winning boulangerie, butcher, a post office, supermarket, bars, weekly market, a restaurant and more... The town of Fougeres is just 20 minutes away, and has the largest medieval château in France and in Europe.
This delightful house has had no expense spared inside or out; the walls are hand painted and the formal gardens are superb. The house is built in the Maison Bourgeoise style and looks very different from the road than it does from the front. It used to belong to the grandparents of a famous artist Marin Marie and it is believed to have been built in 1809.
There is about 400 sqm of living space over 3 floors, everywhere you look there is more evidence of a real eye for detail. The property benefits from oil fired central heating, centralised mechanical ventilation and double glazed windows. The garden is stunning and boasts outbuildings, a summer kitchen and bar and a covered swimming pool.
Recent improvements include the designer modern bespoke kitchen, a new shower in the master bedroom suite, some new shutters, a new security system. The exterior of the house was repainted 2 years ago, a new electric gate system was installed on the gate leading to the driveway and garage and the whole electrical system was upgraded with substantial re-wiring and new fuseboards in the cellar. The swimming pool has had a new air source heat pump, new skimmers and a new pool liner has been installed.
THE ACCOMMODATION in the MANOIR
On the ground floor
- Entrance hall : 4.21m x 2.80m - 1/2 glazed double doors to the rear elevation. 2 built in cupboards. Spiral stairs to first floor.
- Door to stairs to basement. Bourgogne stone floor. Radiator. 1/2 glazed double doors to kitchen. Alarm. Central heating thermostat.
- Drawing room : 7.06m x 3.99m - 1/2 glazed double doors and window to the front elevation and the turret. 2 windows to the rear elevation. Wooden floor. Built-in cupboards. Marble fireplace. 2 radiators. Wood panelling. Door to rear hall. Coving and ceiling rose. Archway with 1/2 glazed double doors to Dining Room.
- Cloakroom : Toilet. Pedestal hand basin. Tiled floor and 1/2 tiled walls. Built in cupboard.
- Dining room : 7.06m x 4.46m - Double aspect with window to the rear elevation and window and door to the front elevation and turret. Wooden floor. Marble fireplace. Wooden panelling. Coving and ceiling rose. Built in cupboards either side of the chimney breast. Radiator.
- Turrett garden room : 3.41m x 3.01m - 1/2 glazed doors and side panels to the front garden and windows to the west and east elevations. Ceiling rose. Radiator. Tiled floor. Fireplace.
- Kitchen/breakfast room : 7.06m x 2.06m - Double aspect with windows to the front and rear elevations. 2 radiators. Granite fireplace with woodburner. Double ceramic sink with mixer tap. Exposed stone walls and beams. Recently fitted, top of the range, bespoke kitchen with floor to ceiling storage units, sink with 2 mixer taps (one boiling water tap), built in under counter wine cooler, Miele appliances including induction hob with gas wok ring, integrated worktop extraction, two built in overns, built in microwave/combi oven and steam ovens, built in breakafast bar, larder fridge and separate freezer, built-in dishwasher. Marble worktops and splashbacks. Glazed door to the garden.
On the first floor
- Landing : Wooden floor. Spiral stairs to second floor.
- Bedroom 1 : 5.15m x 3.60m - Window to the rear elevation. Wooden floor. Radiator. Built-in cupboard. Vanity unit with mirror and light over. Toilet. Corner shower. Extractor. Tiled walls in shower room area.
- Bedroom 2 : 3.80m x 3.16m - Window to the front elevation. Wooden floor. Radiator. Door to -
- En-suite shower room : 3.28m x 1.95m - Window to the front elevation. Tiled walls. Toilet. Wooden floor. Vanity unit with mirror and light over. Walk in shower.
- Master bedroom suite : 7.01m x 3.91m - 3 windows to the rear elevation and window to the front elevation. Coving. Marble fireplace. Built-in cupboard. 2 radiators.
- Dressing room : 4.74m x 2.82m - 5 built in wardrobes. Window to the rear elevation. Wooden floor. Door to -
- Sewing room : 2.52m x 1.51m - Window to the east and rear elevations. Glazed door to small balcony on the front elevation. Tiled floor. Hatch to loft space.
- Study : 3.42m x 2.88m - In the turret with windows to the front and east elevations. Wooden floor. Radiator. 1/2 glazed double doors from the master bedroom.
- En-suite bathroom : 4.60m x 3.23m - Window to the front elevation. Wooden floor. Corner bath. Fully tiled walls. Double oak vanity unit with mirror over. Large shower with jets. Concealed radiator. Toilet. Bidet. Built-in cupboard. Extractor.
On the second floor
- Bedroom 4 : 4.25m x 3.20m - Velux to the rear elevation. Sloping ceiling. Wooden floor. Open to -
- En-suite bathroom : 2.63m x 1.56m - Wooden floor. Vanity unit. Fully tiled walls and ceiling. Extractor. Toilet. Bath with mixer tap. Radiator.
- Bedroom 5 : 3.58m x 3.28m - Wooden floor. Radiator. Window to the front elevation. Sloping ceiling.
- Bathroom : 2.44m x 1.30m - Window to the front elevation. Fully tiled floor and walls. Radiator. Bath with mixer tap. Sloping ceiling. Pedestal hand basin. Extractor.
- Play room : 10.35m x 5.08m - Double aspect with windows to the front and rear elevations. Sloping ceiling. Wooden floor. Exposed beams. Fireplace. 2 radiators. Exposed beams. Door to -
- Billiard room : 6.43m x 3.41m - Window to the front elevation. Exposed stone wall. Access to loft. Wooden floor.
In the basement
- Tiled floor. Steps up to door to the rear or the property.
- Oil fired boiler and oil storage tank.
- Built in cupboards.
- Plumbing for washing machine. Sink.
- Hot water cylinder.
- Wine store.
- The roadside view of this property does not resemble the view from the garden and the south side. The property has vehicular access on both sides via high wooden gates (1 electric). On one side this leads to a tandem parking space and on the other it leads up a brick paviour and tarmac driveway to the old coach house which is now a double garage (8.87m x 4.58m), built of stone, with large wooden doors to the north; concrete floor; loft storage space over; power and light.
- The formal gardens of around 3500 sq.m are laid to lawn with walkways and many seating areas and features, mature flower and shrub borders. Well. Attached to the main house is a boot/garden room ( 2.52m x 1.51m) with sink and built in cupboard. Wooden shed. Workshop built of stone with a slate roof (6.21m x 5.25m) with exposed stone walls and beams and storage loft. Toilet. Attached storage area (3.04m x 2.43m).
- Covered swimming pool with retractable roof (11m x 5m) which had a new cover, pump, etc. in June 2013. Outside shower. Terraced surround. Outside lighting. Stone pool house.
- Open fronted barn used as summer kitchen/bar and seating area (12m x 3.27m) with 5 arches to the front overlooking the pool. Paved floor. Ceramic sink. Hot water heater. Shelving. Exposed stone. Worktop. Storage room.
- The "colombier" (pigeon house) is used as a barbecue area.
- Walled vegetable garden with raised beds, water and electricity. Orangerie used as a garden shed.
- Mains water, electricity, telephone and drainage.
- Oil fired central heating.
- Broadband internet connection.
- Tax Fonciere 1600 euros/year
ABOUT THE AREA & ACCESS
The property is situated in a village where you will find an award winning baker, a butcher, a post office, a bank, a supermarket with petrol station, 2 bars, a restaurant, a hairdresser and 2 brocante/second hand shops. A market is held in the village square on Friday mornings.
The market town of St Hilaire du Harcouët is approx 15 minutes away. The tourist town of Fougeres is just 20 minutes away, and has the largest medieval château in Europe. It has many good shops, cinema and ten pin bowling. Just outside the town is the Forest of Fougeres, which has a large lake and beach. There is also horse riding in the Forest. The property has excellent transport links to the UK via the ferry ports at Calais - 4.5 hours, St Malo - 1.5 hours, Le Havre - 2.5 hours, Cherbourg - 2 hours.
The airports at Rennes and Dinard are about a 1 hr 30mins drive away. The house is situated in the Pays de La Loire but travel five minutes and you can be in Normandy or Brittany. Fougeres, with its ancient belfry, many shops, bars and restaurants is 20 minutes away. The medieval town of Domfront is 30 minutes away. The UNESCO heritage site of Mont St Michel is less than an hour away. The towns of Gorron, Ernee and Mayenne are close by.
This period property would make a beautiful B&B or family home. See more French Mansions here.
Save this Property to your favourites or
Send an Enquiry to receive more images. To receive alerts of similar properties or to arrange a visit, simply register here.