A few minutes from Colmar, at the gates of the Munster valley and at the start of many hiking trails linking the emblematic medieval castles of the region, stands the domain of Saint-Gilles, a multi-secular building unique in its kind and with undeniable charm. The complex consists of buildings and various outbuildings surrounded by 17.69 hectares of meadows and agricultural land.
A reflection of past ecclesiastical prosperity, the place appears in the archives from 1148 as an offshoot of the priory of Saint-Pierre de Colmar, itself subject to the Swiss abbey of Payerne (Canton of Vaud). The arrival of the Reformation coincided with the acquisition of the agricultural estate in 1575 by the city of Colmar, which kept it until 1714, when Louis XIV entrusted the abandoned church to the good care of the Grand Chapter of the Cathedral of Strasbourg.
In 1777, heavy restoration work saw the roof of the chapel joined to the house, the drilling of new windows in the facade and the renovation of the murals which will be hidden under plaster during the French Revolution.
Sold as national property, the City of Colmar once again acquired the estate in 1793 until it resold it in 1815 to a merchant who organized the desecration of the chapel, thus ending the pilgrimage to Wintzenheim, which reappeared a decade ago. earlier. The chapel is divided into two levels with accommodation upstairs, served by a beautiful wooden staircase. The skylight also dates from this period.
In 2002, the building was partially included in the additional inventory of historical monuments. The classified elements are: the facades and roofs, the staircase with chestnut balusters (East wing) and the old chapel of St-Gilles with its remains of polychrome wall paintings presenting scenes from the life of Saint-Gilles (North wing).
Many preservation and development works have been carried out recently: complete repair of the roofs (insulation - covers - frames), interior fittings, electrical and sanitary installations, partial replacement of the exterior joinery, additional water supply from a source located in upstream in the mountains (several collection points + tank of approximately 25m3), kitchen to collective catering standards for use as processing premises, etc.
Reconnecting with its past, the site has now regained a rural use and lends itself particularly well to hosting diverse agricultural, social or cultural activities.
The strategic location of this exceptional place, both close to the main axes and away from the major tourist flows of the Wine Route, constitutes an undeniable potential and gives it a major asset. Colmar, 7 km away, is an essential tourist and cultural stopover in Alsace. Its station is 10 minutes away by car and connects Paris in less than 3 hours thanks to the TGV. All this, just a stone's throw from the German and Swiss borders.
Fees included at the expense of the seller. More information and images on request.